Monday, February 1, 2021

So What Happened to the 2021 Grammy Awards-The 63rd Grammies???

OK so I voted in 15 Categories for the 2021 Grammy Awards in early January: Artist of the Year, Song of the Year and Album of the Year, Best New Artist, etc. in the Pop, Country and Christian categories. I have to say that this year's songs, albums and artists were much more pleasant to listen to overall than last years' were...So as far as one artist that was difficult for me to listen to last year, can you say Cardi B? ;)

                                         Nominee Post Malone offers some impressive new music

So Congrats to this year's Nominees which included the likes of Post Malone, Taylor Swift (again!), Maren Morris, Fiona Apple, Billie Eilish (again!), Dua Lipa, Eric Church, Lady A (again!), Lady Gaga (again!), Coldplay (again!), Justin Bieber (again!), Black Pumas, Harry Styles, James Taylor, etc. etc.

I personally think there will be a few BIG shakeups this year. I can say that I was slightly more unimpressed with some of the more established bands and artists (can you say James Taylor, Coldplay, Lady Gaga, and Fiona Apple?) this year than I've been before. I also think most of the prior "winners" offered a lot less musical "bang for the buck" overall than some of the up and coming new artists on the scene (Post Malone, Harry Styles). But I predict that some of the Grammy die hards will do well again - as in Taylor Swift. I mean how does this all-grown-up former teen idol know what the trends are exactly before anyone else, and always ends up putting out catchy heartfelt stuff that's exactly what we're all  feeling, wanting and needing to hear-right now?!

I have to mention I was also a bit surprised that they decided to bump the Grammy's back to Sunday March 14, 2021 instead of hosting them in Jan or early Feb. as usual. What?? Ok so I think it mostly had to do with COVID, but there've also been some SCANDALS at home at Grammy Headquarters too. Mostly involving women feeling as if they were discriminated against because they are women.  By men. Big Surprise! So there was a big shakeup over there, and new top brass, etc. and firings, lawsuits etc. have ensued.  Get it, sued?  Well I'm thinking this is also part of the reason for the big delay, I mean who wants to attend an awards show where you could win a big award such as Artist of the Year, but you have to attend VIRTUALLY?  So now you know EXACTLY how the rest of us feel, having to attend your bigshot awards shows- via television or internet!

Oh well, I wish everyone the best and (still) appreciate all the musical contributions and efforts we artists are making. I feel like many Grammy Nominees got more in touch with their softer, more reflective, kinder, gentler, and more sentimental sides this year. Probably due to even more marked division in the US then ever,  and the rapidly dissolving state of world peace, plus theres been this huge Covid mess...

Till next time, 

As Always-Your Musician friend,

DeDe :)

dedewedekind.com

facebook.com/DeDeWedekind

twitter.com/dedewmusic

youtube.com/1dwedekind

instagram.com/dedewedekind


 

No comments:

Post a Comment